Dominion Rules forums > Timing Penalty

It appears that the timing penalty on various weapons (/armor) could make their timing score negative. In this case, do you just give up your timing roll? If not, it seems it's better off to have a weapon that has so bad of a timing that it has the "forfeit" attribute, rather than a penalty.

September 8, 2010 | Unregistered Commentergyakusetsu

Can you give an example? I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Say your character has an unmodified Timing stat of 4, and is wielding a battle axe (Timing penalty -6). So his modified Timing stat is -2. In the Timing stage the then rolls and adds -2. E.g. if you roll a 5 your Timing score will be 3. If you roll a 1 your Timing score will be -1. Chances are, you'll be last in the Timing order with a -1. But you may not be--there could be someone who gets a -2, for instance. Not likely, but possible. Plus, even if you get a negative Timing score, you're still going to go ahead of anyone with a Forfeit.

Does that answer your question?

September 25, 2010 | Registered CommenterDR

I see. I thought modifier's always applied to your target number, so (in your above example with Timing: 4 and Battle Axe: -6), you'd have to roll a -2 or better on a d12, which is, of course, impossible.

November 1, 2010 | Unregistered Commentergyakusetsu

i still think this is a little dodgy and i just make the only player using a forfeit weapon go last, unless another forfeit weapon user is there, whereupon they will roll against each other only.
seem to work out fine for my group: the player is not bothered that she always goes last, her maul makes a great impression on her allies and enemies alike anyway! the only issue comes when all she wants to do is retreat but forfeits her roll anyway...
if she is going to do no weapon stuff that round i just ignore the timing penalty job done.

however the rules as written seem to imply they don't roll but just use their unmodified timing, which means bastard sword (-8 penalty) is almost guaranteed to be worse than no roll, especially if used by a low timing character.
and an assassin would rock with really high timing and a pole axe! (mechanically, not thematically)

well that is what i have done anyway

April 28, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterEddie