Dominion Rules forums > movement speed out of combat

i had two quick queries with this

firstly how fast do characters move outside of combat per hour or whatever

and related to the above is how long is a combat round? maybe i'm missing this but i don't seem to be able to find it in the combat section.
system looks great and i'm looking forward to starting up a sandbox style game with it

February 3, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterEddie

actually i have another one too!

there is no sort of rules attached to what weapons and armour a person is skilled at, meaning if a sorcerer ploughs all their APs into sorcery and then manages to get a suit of plate somehow they can just throw that on and be pretty nails.
i'm thinking of making it so that any pc starting with the armour has the necessary skills to wear and maintain it, know when it needs repairs etc.
thinking of doing same with weapons: start with a 3AP melee weapon and can use anyway, and again with missile.

how did anyone else deal with this?

There's nothing in the rules saying how fast you move outside of combat. I guess it depends on whether you're walking, running, riding a horse, flying, or whatever ;0

No rule about the length of combat rounds either. What do you need it for? Oh, that battle took 12 minutes and now ur late for ur apointment... !

February 3, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterRitsy

erm for it to add up? speed 5?
if 6 second rounds then walking you can do 5 metres in 6 seconds, 50 a minute and 3km in an hour.
that's really slow.
3 second rounds makes 100 metres a minute and 6km an hour... this seems more reasonable maybe?

am going to be running a largely exploration based game so party will be exploring a lot which kinda necessitates knowing how fast they can move.
and my group likes to know these things, i can handwave it though i suppose

Hi Eddie!

Welcome to DR! We hope you enjoy the game. We didn't include any rules for how long a round takes. We found that similar rules in D&D never really worked very well, and didn't seem necessary. As for the distance people travel by foot in an hour, we suggest you simply allow your players to travel at an ordinary human pace. You might want to look that up online. I assume it's about 5 km per hour walking but I'm not sure.

February 4, 2011 | Registered CommenterDR

thanks am writing up campign world now.
did you have any problems with the armour issues i mention above?

February 8, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterEddie

DR is designed to be tweaked by end users, so we've got no objection in principle. As for the issue of a sorcerer managing to wear plate armour, we don't think that's a problem. To the contrary, we think it's a strength of DR that players aren't forced into artificial limits on their creativity. Why can't a sorcerer wear armour? But if you want a rule like that, by all means add it in. Have fun!

February 17, 2011 | Registered CommenterDR

Hiya.

A bit late to the thread, but...

(1) Armour & Casters: I simply imposed a Difficulty penalty to casting equal to the Movement penalty of all armour worn.

(2) I've gone with "normal human movement" for movement outside of combat. I re-jigged the "Movement" skill (which is used only in combat) as ones ability to move that number of meters over the course of a 'round' before movement counts as an 'action'. Oh, and my rounds are currently a range of between 6 and 12 seconds.

That said, I'm currently toying with the idea of trying to implement Hackmaster Basic's "initiative count". I think it may work well...but it may be more work than it's worth. We'll see...

^_^

Paul L. Ming

March 18, 2014 | Unregistered CommenterPaul L. Ming