Dominion Rules forums > Dominion rules

I am currently playing D&D but I want to swich to DR.
I want to run a one shot.

For this one shot, I was thinking to print parts of the book, only to find out I couldn't edit a pdf.
This made me wondering, why is dominion rules only available as .pdf or as book?
Although .pdf is readable by many people I wouldn't call it an open format. You can't change it.

Anyway, a .doc version would be really usefull:
- You can take the stats of a monster, change a few bits and print it out.
- You can quote the rules more easily.
- It makes it easier to create custom content.

However, the project can fork more easily.
For example, someone creates a version based on science fiction. (I don't know if this is an advantage or a disadvantage)

January 16, 2010 | Unregistered Commenterwokste

Good point. The main reason for the PDF format is that it's easy to design a decent looking book then distribute it by PDF. But I can see the value in offering a TXT version or some such thing.

January 20, 2010 | Registered CommenterDR

In a plaintext format the formatting(?) would be lost.
I think it would be a good idea to use an open and/or common format:
RTF (by Microsoft)
HTML (by W3C) or
ODT (by Sun/OASIS)
all of these are formatable, free to use and platformidependent.

March 24, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterDeus Figendi

I noticed if you're using "Adobe Reader" there is an option to "Save as .TXT"

So I saved the entire doc as one big TXT file and then copy & pasted the different sections into their own TXT files.

My reason for doing this is maybe I would rather make my own rule book with the sections in different parts, er, maybe re-order the sections a little more.

February 24, 2012 | Unregistered CommenterMorfiction

Crazy late to this thread, but a version of DR released via gitbook might not be a bad idea - it uses markdown for content and keeps the formatting neat, clean, and simple - and if you download a book, you can pull the data straight out of the markdown files as plaintext.

January 14, 2015 | Unregistered Commenterhrothrikr